[geeks] GPS on planes

Hugh Saunders hugh at mjr.org
Sat Jul 26 17:58:10 CDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:30:12PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> The problem with using GPS on an airplane is that the pilots also use
> GPS. Your handheld receiver is very likely to prevent theirs from working.
> How?
>
> <technical explanation>
<snip>
> </technical explanation>

so is the idea that the gps receiver uses some sort of carrier signal
internally to strengthen the signal from the satellite with?
I would have thought the RFI police wouldn't certify them if they
couldnt keep their internal signals internal.

<OT>
does anyone remember an article about putting a shortwave radio next to
a monitor and then by running a program that made the monitor do lots of
nasty things that made it  music to the radio reciever?

I remember reading somewhere but i really cant remember where, but i can
imagine its possible my monitor certainly emits much rubbish!
</OT>

--
hugh