[geeks] gps on plane

Hugh Saunders hugh at mjr.org
Fri Jul 25 19:45:16 CDT 2003

The other day, I was using a small gps unit on a flight from
uk-->greece, just looking at how far to go etc. Was fine for about
1.5hrs but then one of the flight crew asked me to turn it off. Thats
fine, if they aren't happy with me having electronics then i'll turn it
off -safety is way more important than gadegtry.  The thing that
confused me was the reason given, they said that you arent allowed
anything that is capable of transmitting or receiving a signal. But..
they allow people to have walkmans with radio's in them! they are
capable of receiving a signal!

I think a more sensible rule would be disallowing anything that is
capable of transmitting a signal or if they are worried about sparks and
stuff, just banning anything electronic.

Am I being stupid here, or does anyone agree that allowing fm radio
receivers but not allowing gps receivers is a bit illogical?

--
hugh

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]