[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 22 21:47:00 CDT 2003

N.Miller wrote:

> The Federalist Papers (generally thought of as a clarification
> of the thoughts of the framers of the Constitution) talk about
> Amendment 2 quite extensively, as it was one of the big bones of
> contention as the regards the Constitution.  Refer to 4, 29, 46.
> Of course, the Anti-Federalist Papers also discuss Amendment 2
> as well.
>
> It's really too bad that the American public is not so well-educated
> as it was at the time the Constitution was being put together.

I was just getting ready to say, that you cannot read the second
amendment or any part of the Consitution alone.  You have to read the
papers that back it up, and the Federalist Papers as well.  It also
helps to read the letters and other writing of the founders.

It's quite clear that the intention was that all citizens had the right
to be armed.  Not only that, they had the duty to be armed, but
obviously many people don't have enough sense of duty to even bother
reading.

Even if it were stricly for militia use, there would be little
difference, except maybe we'd organize militia meetings now and then.
Effectively, we have to be armed for self-defense in order to be armed
for the militia.  If you are not armed, then it will be a little hard to
organize the militia when it is called up... :)