[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Jul 17 19:26:47 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 07:57  PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> But thanks for the patronizing...

Sorry if it came across that way, wasn't intended to be.

> Says who, you? Ah, OK. I guess it must be true.... A gun handled by an
> idiot whether he is or not legal or a criminal is what is a problem. I
> somehow would like to be protected from that. Is that too much to ask?

Not at all. So I guess what we really need to do, and would solve all
sorts of problems, not just gun related ones, would be to outlaw
idiocy! I mean think about it, it's idiots with guns folks worry about,
idiots behind the wheel of a car that worry people, idiots with chain
saws that worry people, let's make the idiots illegal, that will solve
all our problems.

> A criminal with or without a gun is a problem, so why try to use that
> as
> an excuse. If guns would indeed protect you from criminals, crime would
> have already dissapeared long time ago. Crime will happen whether or
> not
> people are armed, rather than arming people I'd rather look at the
> reasons
> why peeople are getting into crime, as in hum... I don't know economics
> and other such things.

I agree with you that the reasons WHY people do crime needs to be
looked into, but while we're doing that I'm still going to keep my gun
handy to protect myself.

> Move to a different place where a) I do not have to be suspicious of
> everyone around me

I've already done that, one reason why I moved from South Florida to
East Tennessee.

> b) Police actually do their damn job.

Well, I guess that leaves out the United States, as the supreme court
of the US has decided that the police do not have a responsibility to
protect the public.

> If you have
> to arm yourself to be safe in your own house it seems that somehow
> something has been terribly wrong in that neighborhood. I like to
> actually
> address a problem not just look for temporary patching solutions.

Haven't you heard of home invasions? They happen in all sorts of
neighborhoods, good, bad, or otherwise. In fact in Florida, if you're
in your home, you don't have to try and flee before being justified in
using deadly force. (according to FL law, even if you're carrying a
concealed weapon, you must try to flee a situation before being
justified in using deadly force)

> We can make all the made up scenarios you want. I believe guns are for
> the
> most part a psychological safety resort, whether or not those guns make
> you any safer in reality is debatable.

Well, as others have pointed out, this whole discussion is pointless,
as I'm not about to change my views, and nor are you going to change
yours, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

- -Mike
* PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
* Email:schiller at nospam.agrijag.com \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *