[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 17 16:52:39 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 01:39 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> On Thursday 17 July 2003 22:29, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> Yah, the world would be boring if everyone was the same.  I suspect
>> we are
>> all the product of our backgrounds and society.
>>
>> Think about it this way - carrying a firearm, and being able to use
>> it, was
>> in the not-too-distant past where I'm from (Texas) a requirement if
>> you
>> were going live.  Indians, Bandits etc were a real hazard in my great
>> granpa's era.
>
> Ok, would you please leave the indians out?

There are Native Americans who were peaceful, and there are
Native Americans who, for all intents and purposes, were
nothing but bandits, even towards other Native Americans.
In Texas, the "bandit" version was very common--the Comanches.

I have a friend who is of Comanche lineage (probably someone
in his family kidnapped)--he takes great pleasure in reciting
the hostile exploits of his ancestors and bursting the bubble
of modern Caucasian apologists.  (He's so not an apologist
that he wrote the official history of the Texas Rangers--
no *not* baseball.)

Please don't pretend that the Native Americans were all pastoral,
peace-loving people.  Many of them made war on each other
quite regularly--they just didn't have the tech level to do
the same to the Europeans who came over.  It's happened the
world over, and there's nothing to be done for it now, except
help the remnants of their cultures survive in the modern world.

I live with a history major, have studied history and anthropology
extensively myself (not *just* an English major and geek) and come
from a line of Native Americans.  I have friends who come from
all sorts of cultures and walks of life.  Viewing the past through
a rose filter does nothing to honor the memory of great people.

=Nadine=