[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jul 17 15:15:03 CDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 21:37, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I think the last sentence points out exactly how opposite the 'anti-gun'
> and 'pro-gun' camps are, and why the debate is so polarized.
>
> Simplifying greatly; People who have sympathy for the 'pro gun' point of
> view place more emphasis in belief in the rights of the common man and the
> right of self determination.  Folks who sympathize with the 'anti gun'
> argument are more statist and believe that the more control over the
> individual the better.

Not exactly what I feel, I am not in favour of lots of control over people. I
just think giving people the opportunity to get the same means to kill each
other as the state goes way too far. There is no such thing as the freedom to
shoot your neighbour to put it bluntly.

> I may have not stated that last as well as it could be; obviously I fall
> into the former camp and, as much as I've tried to understand the beliefs
> and motivations of the latter .. I just can't.  It's too alien.

Maybe you are just different persons then me :) . I just can't seem to grasp
the sanity of a law allowing citizens to carry arms.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be