[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jul 17 14:37:30 CDT 2003

Frank Van Damme [mailto:frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be] on Thursday,
July 17, 2003 2:07 PM said;

> The same logic can be easily converted though - I don't think it takes a
> genius to see that less strict gun laws will risk a higher rate of murders
> (if you get my meaning). And yes, I know the phrase "if all guns are
> outlawed, only the outlaw will have guns" but I don't think it's true.
Having
> easy access to firearms for normal people is, I think, very dangerous.

I think the last sentence points out exactly how opposite the 'anti-gun' and
'pro-gun' camps are, and why the debate is so polarized.

Simplifying greatly; People who have sympathy for the 'pro gun' point of
view place more emphasis in belief in the rights of the common man and the
right of self determination.  Folks who sympathize with the 'anti gun'
argument are more statist and believe that the more control over the
individual the better.

I may have not stated that last as well as it could be; obviously I fall
into the former camp and, as much as I've tried to understand the beliefs
and motivations of the latter .. I just can't.  It's too alien.

~brian