[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jul 16 16:56:19 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Mike Meredith wrote:
> I suspect 'militia' is in some senses a deliberately vague term. In the
> UK 'militia' meant specially priviliged regiments of the army that
> served in the UK and could not be sent abroad ... and this was in the
> 18th century. But it was always an integral part of a nation's armed
> forces (note your use of "elected leader").

I believe that Federalist Paper #29 refers to the leader of
the militia as being state appointed (so as to differentiate
it from a federal appointment), while the specification of
training would come from Congress.

"...the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union "to
provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and
for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service
of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE
APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE
MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."

Of course, this is not the last word on things--this was
Hamilton's response to the uproar that the Second Amendment was
causing.  My favorite phrase from this paper is "posse comitatus";
I hadn't realized "posse" was Latin. :-)

=Nadine=