[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jul 16 08:47:36 CDT 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez [mailto:lefa at ucsc.edu] on Wednesday, July 16,
2003 3:18 AM said;

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Brian Dunbar wrote:

>> Forwarded to Geeks
>>
>> Phil Stracchino [mailto:alaric at caerllewys.net] on Tuesday, July 15, 2003
>> 5:19 PM said

>> ><offtopic>
>> >Never *rely* on 911 services, period.  The Supreme Court ruled some time
>> >ago that police departments, that nice "To Protect And Serve" motto
>> >notwithstanding, have no "duty to protect" and cannot be held reponsible
>> >for failing to protect you, even when answering an emergency call, even
>> >if the reason they failed to protect you is because they took 45 minutes
>> >to respond to the call.
>> ></offtopic>
>>
>> A good argument _against_ gun control, I would think.

>...or paying taxes (city taxes at least)

Which still doesn't guarantee that the cops will show up in time.  If they
can't guarantee light speed response the instant I need them to protect me,
then I have a moral responsibility to have the means to protect myself
and/or my family.  And my neighbors if they need.  Hey, wait, that sounds
like that-there militia thingee mentioned in the Constitution ...

~brian