[geeks] NetBSD newbie question

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Jul 14 15:14:32 CDT 2003

I just installed my first installation of NetBSD on a junk PC I had in
the office in order to A. hide my non-pc equipment on the corporate
network and B. learn NetBSD.

I have set it up as a firewall that responds to no external services...
uses DHCP as a client on the external IF and does NAT between the
Internal IF and the external IF.  It runs a dhcp server on the internal
network for my laptop and ssh for admin.... no other services are
running.  I have just removed the default sendmail portion from my
crontab for root and was wondering if I can just go ahead and rm all
the X11R6 stuff.  I had to install this stuff because 3 other install
attempts picking only the packages I needed resulted in none of the usr
directory being installed on the system so I just selected full install
instead.  This is netbsd 1.6.1.  I can provide a ps listing, but as far
as I can tell I don't need the X11 directories and they just waste
space.  The unit does have a 4GB drive, however, so it isn't used up
per se.

Andrew