[geeks] Re: New SGI workstation

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 10 13:41:21 CDT 2003

"From: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
"
">"From: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
">"
">"There is a Sequent PPro quad in the room next to me which is running win2k. No flames please - it is running win2k because I couldn't get the Emulex FC-AL cards working reliably under anything else.
">
">have you considered installing windows sfu 3.0?  this includes the
">very good interix 2.2 unix layer that you can run along side or
">instead of win32 on the nt/w2k kernel.  kernel drivers and config
">files are of course shared.  costs $100, $50 with edu discount.
">________________________________________________________________________
">Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
"
"
"I haven't considered using sfu and I really should look into it. I understand that it has got some really good nfs tools.
"
"I remember reading a few years ago that MS bought a company that developed the sfu technology and that some of the sfu components are GPL'd because they include GPL'd code. I like the idea of buying a GPL'd product from MS :-)

that co was interix, and as i heard it, they wanted to kill the
interix approach to migrating unix apps to nt in favor of their own
****-poor -very- minimal [and buggy.  surprise!] api.

it's truly delicious to see at least -one- victory for technical
excellence.  btw, it's rumored to be more stable than win32...

if you like irony, how about m$ owning unix?  sco was their spinoff,
back in the early/mid '80s, and afaik still ms-controlled when they
bought usl from novell.