[geeks] New SGI workstation

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Jul 10 11:46:03 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:43:16AM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> NSK is migrating from MIPS to Itanium.  That would leave SGI as the only
> company using MIPS CPUs for their servers and workstations.  It may be that
> continuing development of the high-end of the MIPS processor line may be
> cost prohibitive with only SGI using them.

What's this NSK?  The company that Google comes up with isn't a computer
company.  The first one is a bearing and other doodad manufactor, and
the other is a software company in Russia.

> Another large (the largest, I think) consumer of MIPS CPUs is also migrating
> to a different architecture:  Sony.  The Playstation 3 is supposed to use a
> custom CPU.

Sony already uses custom CPUs.  They just licensed the MIPS core to use
in their custom CPUs.  As it is, in the PS2, most of the hard work is
done by the custom parts, not the MIPS part.