[geeks] New SGI workstation

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jul 10 03:30:28 CDT 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:00, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> "The new system should serve this niche well and help pay the bills as
> the company transitions to Intel's Itanic processor."

Exit SGI I guess...

> Is this the raw fact? Are they really moving away from IRIX+Mips, that
> once made them unique? I hope SOMEONE over there can think longer than
> his nose, cause the Altix is Just Another PeeCee(tm).

Philosofical question: what makes a PeeCee a PeeCee? The fact it has an Intel
cpu? I deem it possible to base a crap ide-based workstation with a shared
bus architecture and low memory bandwidth and all sorts of flaky hardware
around a Mips cpu, no?

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be