[geeks] Discretion

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 8 13:45:21 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> For example, no one really cares if someone makes a few phone calls or
> sends a few emails with very generic questions from their current work,
> or a customer if they are a contractor, do they?

Nope.

> From my experience having worked at a place that company policy is that
> they read and archive all emails, I'm justafiably paranoid.

Understandably so.  You're only paranoid if no one's out to get you,
and, when suits are involved, they're out to get you.

> My work contract included ownership of all IP developed using their time
> or equipment, as have my contracts before or after.

You might want to review people's contracts.  Some contracts apply to
stuff they do at work.  Others apply to stuff they do WHILE EMPLOYED by
the company.  So, if they're still employed by other companies, and
doing work for you, you're on shaky ground.

> So what happens if we get funded and make zillions of dollars and someone
> from the now bankrupt compay X, remembers that person Y did his research
> for the product on company X's time?

They'll need proof, and if you have a patent on the nifty bits of it,
they'll need to prove prior art, as well.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren