[geeks] Good Used Unix Workstation

Aaron Finley arnach at arnach.com
Sun Jul 6 14:48:57 CDT 2003

What do you guys think of a HP j6000/J6700?

That'll buy you a really nice used deskside SGI Onyx2, if you hunt
>around.  It'll also come really close to buying you a brand-new IBM p615
>server with entry-level graphics.

I had an Onyx2 IR. Standard 15 amp plugs only, and the Onyx would take up
half the room :-).

You want the 2000.  The machines are virtually identical except for
>minor differences to support newer CPUs.

Never seen a 2000 for less than $7000.

>My SGIs are
>my favorite, and my 1x195MHz Octane still impresses me on a daily basis
>with what it can gleefully accomplish.

I had an Octane 250... need something newer.

>My recommendation would be to get several smallish machines:  A decent
>Octane (2xR12k is cheap enough these days), a decent Sun (U60 or so),
>and an Apple (Used PBG4 or new Power Mac G5) for all those Microsoft
>Office documents that you'll invariably have to digest during college.

No space. No way. One system only and a flat panel.

>The system I took to college in 1998 was a single SPARCstation LX
>running Solaris 2.6.  I also brought along a PC for desktop things
>because I hadn't properly assimilated Unix into my brain at that point.

I started out paying $1000 for a Sparcstation 1+.

Thanks.. Aaron