[geeks] Good Used Unix Workstation

Aaron Finley arnach at arnach.com
Sun Jul 6 13:02:46 CDT 2003

Hello,

I'm going off to college next year.

I'm going to need a new computer. I've sold off all my old workstations to
make money to buy a new one. Need a new machine mostly for general computing.

I've got about $4-$5k to spend.

I really would rather not take a PC, if I need a PC, there are thousands on
campus. I would consider an IBM Dual Xeon Z Pro though.

Anyway, here's my short list:

Sun Blade 1000 2x 750 ... This seems to be the perfect computer but appears
to be very hard to find for a reasonable price.

Sun Blade 150 ... Looks like a nice computer but I think the value for
money on the used ones is poor, dosen't look too durable.
SGI Octane2 2x 400 w/ V8 ... A nice computer, I've owned several SGIs, but
there's nothing new about them, and I don't see much visual arts in my
future, and any programs that aren't in visual arts on SGIs are usually
rather old.  I had IFX Piranha, and that was beautiful, but what's the point?
IBM Zpro Dual Xeon 2.8 ... Nice, I have a Z pro dual xeon 550 and it's the
most responsive PC i've ever used, but I don't really want a PC.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Aaron