[geeks] ARGH Irix install fun (no, not bad hardware...)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 17:54:49 CDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm trying to install Irix 6.5 on an Indigo 2, but i have 2 *bare*
drives that I want to install the OS on...

Here is what I have done so far (based on
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/6.5inst.html ):

After installing scsi CD (external controller, so controller 1, SCSI ID
6), I power on system, enter maint. mode...

Enter command 'boot f dksc(1,6,8)sash64' (standalone shell)

At shell prompt, enter 'boot f dksc(1,6,7)stand/fx.64 x'

And I should be at the Fx prompt, but all I see is:

SGI Version 6.5 ARCS BE64 Oct 11, 2000
fx: "device name" = (dksc)    <-- I press enter, taking default?
fx: ctlr# = (0)               <-- Again, enter to take default?
fx:: drive# = (1)             <-- Enter again...
...opening dksc(0,1,0)
fx: Warning: Failed to open SCSI(0)disk(1)part(10)

And then back to the "SGI Version 6.5 ARC..." line.

How do I get past this? Is it trying to say it can't find the drives?
THere should be two 9 gig HDs installed in the two internal 3 1/2"
slots...

Thanks in advance,

=====
Lionel