[geeks] What is the geeks list.

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Jan 31 18:10:11 CST 2003

Okay, heres a snippet of conversation from me trying to explain the
geeks list to my GF

idiotonduty: what is that list?
cbyrneiv: its a mailing list for geeks
idiotonduty: geeks? They have their own mailing list?
cbyrneiv: Sure, we have dozens of them. Hundreds even. Well people who
are interested in geeky subjects anyway
idiotonduty: Now whats a geeky subject?
cbyrneiv: Computers, especially big, old, or weird computers. Security,
storage, privacy, geeky or action movies, cartoons, caffeine, candy
cbyrneiv: you know, geeky stuff
cbyrneiv: Music is also a common topic, sometimes politics, guns,
airplanes, ham radio
cbyrneiv: Its a pretty wide open place
idiotonduty: and that4s geeky? Sounds fairly normal to me
cbyrneiv: Yeah well, since we ARE geeks, our interests pretty much
define what is geeky

I kind of look at this as a place. A club if you will. And within this
club there are a lot of different interests, but we can all hear all of
the conversations about each one. Some of us are experts, some of us are
looking for advice, or just like to shoot the shit with our frends. To
me it's a social interaction more than it is a technical one.

Chris Byrne