[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Fri Jan 31 02:24:24 CST 2003

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> All companies are in the shitter these days, but SGI is far from
> disappearing.  And Irix is going to be around for a long time to come.

It's the press that makes irrelevant statements about companies like SGI
that clearly put these out of the game.
Last monday I was reading a swedish computermag called "Computer
Sweden". On the frontpage they had this small image of the new SGI Altix
system, along with a headline like "SGI is pulling away from IRIX and
MIPS-CPUs in favor for Linux and Itanium systems". Further down you
could read the statement again "With their new Altix system they have
replaced the MIPS-CPUs for the more powerful Itanium-CPUs, running Linux
instead of IRIX".

Now do this guy have ANY clue what he's talking about?!?

Seriously, if I'd met that guy in person, I'd be sure to kick his balls
into orbit around the earth, then sit down and explain some very
relevant things to him. Jerks.
Not that it's true any of it, but people actually DO BELIEVE in such
stories. I don't know how many rumours that would spread like a wildfire
after this, just because some $clueless_idiot made an idiotic
assumption. Fucknuts.
Now that's hurting the business if anything.

/Bjorn