[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 30 17:25:51 CST 2003

"Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:

[r18k MIPS]

> What are they gonna ship it in? Any workstation configs to start?
>
> And for that matter when are they gonna start offering dual 600 r14k?
> Or any dual r16k? Or are they even gonna bother?

The Octane platform is begninning to show it's age.  Not that it's
"getting old" per se, but it has been on the market for a long time and
people have a preconcieved notion that it's an "old" platform.  Not that
they actually research the subject, because if they did they'd find that
the Octane2 would spank most anything else out there in terms of
visualization and data movement.

Well, that's really here nor there.  I fully expect $peecee_weenie to
jump in here and claim otherwise.

Anyway, the point I was *trying* to make is that I expect SGI to
announce a new workstation platform to go with the R18k CPUs.  I very
well may be wrong, but I expect it nonetheless.

--
Kurt              "My name is James Connolly, I didn't come here to die,
kurt at k-huhn.com    but to fight for the rights of the working man..."