[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 30 17:16:20 CST 2003

"Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:

> Up until two years ago the standard drive in an 02 was a 9 gigger, it
> was only an 18gb when they discontinued the 02+ last year, and the
> largest drive you could order with one was a 36gb. Even now the
> standard drive config for an Octane2 is a single 18gb drive.

In the case of an O2, it's because the drive is a U160 SCA 1" drive.
While not rare these days, they were extremely expensive at the time.

> You would think that machines designed to work with large amounts of
> 3d graphics and video would have more storage capacity.

You have to trade capacity for performance and reliability.  Right,
wrong, or indifferent, quality SCSI is widely viewed as being superior
to IDE in al respects.  The down side is that quality SCSI drive lag
behind in terms of capacity.

Ugh, this is a simplistic view, but I think it gets the general point
across.

> And of course when you do order bigger drives they charge you four
> times what the drive costs when ordered from the manufacturer.

That's because the Suits want new Maybachs to drive around the suburbs
in....

--
Kurt              "My name is James Connolly, I didn't come here to die,
kurt at k-huhn.com    but to fight for the rights of the working man..."