[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 30 16:00:45 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 04:52 PM, Brian wrote:
>>> Was just thinking of the demise of mips, their brief windows
>>> products,
>>> and
>>> now Linux products.
>>
>>    Aren't they preparing to ship the R18K?
>
> I was referring to how MIPS used to be an SGI company and is now its
> own
> independent entity.

   (!?)

   MIPS *started out* as its own independent entity.  Then SGI bought
them.  Now they're independent again.  This does not constitute a
"demise".

> Agreeing on these points, with the possible exception of embedded linux
> hardware

   This is understandable...Embedded systems development with a
multitasking networkable OS is FAR more complex than any desktop
application, and embedded systems engineers (though not me thank
heaven) typically want everything done for them and handed to them on a
platter.  Every tool and piece of information (and I mean *everything*)
that is required to perform embedded systems development using Linux is
available for free as long as you have a web browser, an FTP client,
and a net connection.

>  or support services for companies that need it.

   Companies who are so stupid as to not be able to read the
documentation deserve what they've got coming.  But I realize that's
not a widely-held opinion because most people find it easier to point a
finger than solve a problem.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley