[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Jan 30 15:35:01 CST 2003

> Solaris is a fucking nightmare when it comes to security and default
> installs.

I don't think theres ANY OS out there 'cept OpenBSD that isnt a
nightmare with the default install. And of course with OpenBSD you have
to deal with the whims of Theo.

> > AIX is probably the best for large scale database work, but that may
> > just be because of DB2. I personally thin AIX + DB2 is the
> best of the
> > major commercial DB platforms out there now.
> >

> I'm not convinced of that.  SGI has some seriously rocking
> database installs
> using Origin systems - that's what they're used for really.

This is true. I tend to think of the Origin as a special case. Its
really more of a supercomputer than it is a general system

> Now I sound like a SGI weenie.

Preach on brother. I LOVE SGI boxen. The hardware is awesome. IRIX on
the other hand Im not as happy with. For one thing it is bayond any
question the worst install I have ever seen. It has a lot of great
features, but it just never seems to integrate them all together well. I
well remember when 5.x came out and made most machines useless.

That being said I haven't used it in like two years, nor have I used it
on a higher specced workstation system. I've only run it on Indys,
Indigos, and O2s.  I've been told that 6.5 is the best release yet.

> Spec results are hard to come by these days for some reason

I know. Its getting to be a pain that.

> However, you'll
> find that an MXE, if that's what you want, will stomp all
> over an Elite3DM6.

In the benchmarks I have seen dual u60 300 or higher have beaten out
dual r10k octans in non-3d tasks but had their butts stomped in 3d. I
have not seen a direct comparison with Elite3D M6 to MXE. Though Im sure
the MXE stomps the M6's ass, I'd like to know by how much.

> Hrm, in looking, it appears that most results are
> Windows2000/x86 based
> results.  Bleagh...
>

> --
> Kurt

Yeah for some reason the Spec committee decided that results from every
configuration of every wintel boc were more valuable than real
information from a broader nubmer of architectures.

Chris