[geeks] SCSI cabling question

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Jan 23 20:54:58 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 12:16, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> They each take 3 5.25" bays.  Unfortunately the auction declined to mention
> that they have individual SCA to 68 pin converter boards for each drive bay
> rather than a true backplane.  My question is this, and it seems obvious to
> me, but I'd like to verify.  Can one take one 68 pin cable with 6
> connectors... connect one to the RAID controller, the next 4 to the first
> enclosure on the bottom, connect the last to a female-female adapter, and
> then put another 6 connector cable on that and snake up to a subsequent cage
> of 4?  My problem is I have either a RAID adapter with 3 channels and 4 MB,
> or a single channel with 32MB.  I was thinking of doing 6 drives on two 32MB
> single channel controllers.  Opinions...etc?  I only have 9.1GB 1" drives
> for this purpose, and I have 6 currently.  The 5 18's I bought were as
> someone said here 1.6" tall

I'd bet on that not working.

you mentioned the cache size and number of channels on each of the two
of your controllers, but you didn't mention the speed.  ultra-wide?
ultra2?  My guess is that you'd benefit a lot more from spreading the
drives out over two or more channels than you would from the additional
cache, so unless the 3channel is fast/wide and the 1 channel is ultra2
or something, i'd stick to the 3 channel card.

	-Dan Sikorski