[geeks] basic IRIX network questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 22 14:05:38 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 02:50 AM, Kevin wrote:
> my Octane came in today, my first experience with IRIX as i
> was never able to get it installed on my Indys.  IRIX looks
> pretty nice, but i really don;t have a clue what i'm doing
> yet.  Currently scouring the net for IRIX admin info.

   Congrats on your new machine!  I just got an Octane a few days ago
myself, to replace my I^2 R10K.  It's a "small" Octane, R10K/175 SI,
but I like it anyway. :-)

> Anyone know how i change router and name resolution settings?
> I did the network configuration but that only allowed me to
> setup the host name, IP and subnet mask.  I looked for
> resolve.conf but no such luck.

   If you want to use the GUI, open "System Manager" and click on
"Modify Networking Settings".  It's all in there.  I generally dislike
using GUIs instead of simply editing the files, but IRIX's graphical
interface to that stuff is actually pretty nice.

   Alternatively, you can edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf
(without the "e") for DNS support.

   Good luck with your new machine!

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your