[geeks] Testing out SPAMBully

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed Jan 22 04:34:20 CST 2003

All,

Between thew recent spam threads and the article I read earlier I got to
really thinking about my spam problem. Like most of us I've got a bunch
of email accounts, two of which I use in high spam situations.
Unfortunately I've had my primary email addy for something like 7 years
at this point, and its archvived and referenced all over the web, so I
get a hell of a lot of spam.

Including maling list traffic I get over 1k emails a day (I used to get
a lot more than that but I unsubbed from most of my lists). Of those,
probably half is spam.

I started really thinking about how much time I spend deleting spam, and
just dealing with it in general and I decided to try and do something
about it.

Now unfortunately the hosting provider I use doesn't offer any server
side spam filtering, or any option to add my own (they are otherwise
quite clueful) so I have to use a client filter. Because I use my laptop
as my primary business machine its running WinBlows, with outlook as a
mail client and PIM.

There are TONS of spam filter products for outlook, including a really
bad one built in, but based on the article I decided to try Baynesian
filtering. So I've downloaded spambully and spammunition and Im going to
try each one out and see how I like them. I'll let you know how well (or
poorly) each does and how much of a pin they are to setup and maintain.

Cheers,

Chris Byrne