[geeks] My take on UFOs

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Jan 21 13:17:24 CST 2003

    Eric> ... receiving satellite data from this NASA satellite using a
    Eric> big dish in his yard or something er other...  You'd kinda
    Eric> think that NASA would at least encrypt their data.

I bet viewing encrypted data without properly decrypting it first would
in fact provide lots and lots of strange unidentifiable images now
wouldn't it?  Throw in some wishful thinking and you'll have all the
evidence you'll ever need!

Actually, given the reports of the relative non-sophistication of so
much of NASA's hardware (in terms of processing power, not environmental
stability) it wouldn't be surprising in the least that most of it wasn't
encrypted.  Besides, I would think recovering encrypted data after the
inevitable dropouts from long-distance communications would just be that
much harder.  Similar to the arguments that since garbled AM is
(possibly) still more intelligible than garbled FM that led to keeping
the Aeronautical Radio systems all in AM.

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator