[geeks] Re: hub needed

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 20 08:39:45 CST 2003

Truer words have rarely been spoken. The vast majority of watches, even
what most people would consider expensive watches, are simply not worth
repairing if they break, if they are even possible to repair (most arent
these days, the manufacturer simply replaces them). Theres really only
two solutions  1. Buy a watch that can't break (or that is so difficult
to break as to be its functional equivalent) and 2. buy a watch that's
worth fixing (and fixable)

There are a very few watches that meet that description, most of them
are made in switzerland, and most of them cost at least $500.00 even
with the deepest discount possible. In fact most of them cost more than
$2000 at heavy discount because really the only watches that meat that
definition are extremely high aulity manual movement, and automatic
movement watches. You don't get either without paying a lot for it.

> I haven't worn a watch for the last year, but if I did I
> think I'd wear an 1960's vintage Tissot or Omega. Like my old
> computers, I really like the idea of owning something that is
> capable of useful work many years after the date of manufacture.

It's called elegance. In both the stylistic and engineering sense of the
word. I own three wrist watches that are older than I am (two of which
are older than my mother) which both funtion perfectly, look great, and
will never ever die unless I do something to kill them. And even if they
do it is almost certain I will be able to have them fixed.

Not only that, but often they are good investments. Though pocket
watches tend to be more collectible because they are at this point
older. The first widely available wristwatches only started coming out
just before world war 1.

Chris Byrne