[geeks] "Monte Walsh", could that be *US* in the near future?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Mon Jan 20 08:13:21 CST 2003

I don't know how many of you watched the TNT movie "Monte Walsh" over
the weekend (I saw parts of it three times, I think I saw the whole
thing), but I got to thinking this morning that if we aren't careful
that could be us in a few years.

Look at how many different computer niche careers have already come and
gone in our own lifetimes.  If we aren't careful, we could be the "last
sysadmins" or the the "last programmers" or God only knows what else.
Dedicated to a career that is no longer useful to the world.

Now you might say "but we are the new technology, not the old", but how
many of us resist change?  How many of us resisted "high level
languages" in favor of our beloved Assembler?  How many of us have
sneered at GUIs in favor of our command lines?  Each of us is likely to
have one foot still rooted firmly somewhere in the past!

And look at the parallels between the Cowboy and the Geek.  An often
solitary man.  Working more for the love of the love of the life that
for the money.  Working long, long hours for (relatively) little pay.
No real relationships with women, and rarely any serious family
involvement.  Misunderstood by others and trusting only ourselves.

To misquote Waylon and Willie:

 "Momma don't let your babies grow up to be geeks"

Does anyone see these parallels, or am I alone is this particular
insanity?

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator