[geeks] Jesus this guy could be me

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Jan 18 14:45:10 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 14:59, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> My problem with activation is the software ability to de-activate the
> software whenever they choose... not the actual activation itself.
> It's that sort of parental oversight that I don't accept in software
> for any purpose.

It's not "whenever they choose" there's no MS employee sitting around
saying "i think i'll deactivate THESE XP machines today!"  It's when
there's significant hardware changes.  (and the only time i've seen this
is when XP is ghosted from one machine to another.)  At that point, all
you need to do is reactivate.  Activation doesn't even require giving
any personal information.

Besides, from what i've been told, you can reactivate the same CD-key a
few times by calling microsoft without any problems, but i've not done
that myself.

Once again, i'm not trying to say that windows XP is the best thing
since sliced bread, just saying that it's not the evil thing that so
many people make it out to be.  It's still a microsoft OS, so even if
it's the best MS OS, it's still like being the world's fastest tortoise.

	-Dan Sikorski