[geeks] Followup on weapons seizure

Anthony Guarnieri atg at stormrider.org
Sat Jan 18 12:48:44 CST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Chris Byrne wrote:

> I'm assuming that was said for effect, being substantially identical to
> one of the proposals of Strom Thurmond during the 1948 presidential
> election.

You don't like gun banners, yet you seem well acquianted with their
tactics, but I won't consider it too bad of a smear.

 It is a serious proposal. We test foreigners coming to this
country before giving them the ability to vote. How many 'native-born'
Americans do you know who could pass the citizenship test?

> Although I must say I am not necessarily an opponent of a limited
> franchise, I would do it on differnet terms. I personally would love an
> opt-out scheme of government. You can Opt out of paying any taxes, fees,
> socail security etc... In return you cannot receive any government
> services and cannot vote. The Mennonites do this already BTW. Of course
> how to administer that fairly I don't know. I don't think its possible.

How and why would someone opt out of receiving protection from the
armed forces, one of the few legitimate functions of government?