[geeks] Im going to XP, wish me luck

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Jan 18 09:05:32 CST 2003

Well I switched over to XP. It took about three hours all told, most of
that was downloading and isntalling all the patches updates drivers
etc... The basic install took 47 minutes.

Ive run a couple of basic benchmarks and there's about a 2% perfomance
loss overall with some things up and some things down. Not enough to
nitce in most things really. Of course that was once I turned off all
the extra bullshit.

The one thing I did notice though is how much better text looks on my
laptop with cleartype. I thought my screen was easier to read than a CRT
before cleartype now with it the difference is staggering.

On my 1600x1200x32 screen a page of text looks almost exactly like a
perfectly printed hardcover book. Only brighter.

The font edges are nice and soft without losing their crispness or
distinctness. Theres plenty of contrast without seeming to pop.
Basically its just easier on the eyes.

Funny I've seen XP on TFT's before with and without cleartype enabled,
and the difference wasn't so great, but with this screen its literally
night and day.

And in general once Ive turned off all the extra bullshit the only
difference between XP and 2k is it looks a bit nicer, and it tries to do
more for me (I usually tell it no), and I still havent figured out how
to remove MSN messenger from the system.

Chris Byrne