[geeks] Cleaning laptop keyboards

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Jan 17 20:11:23 CST 2003

I've got a middle-aged Sony laptop.  It's a great little machine, and
everything on it works perfectly...except the keyboard.  Most of the
keys on the left hand side are becoming unresponsive.  I have to really
press hard on them to get them to register.  The keycaps aren't
removable, but the keyboard is removable from the rest of the laptop.
I've pulled it out and done my best with compressed air, but it doesn't
seem to make a difference.  I'm guessing there is some kind of gunk on
the contacts (though I can't SEE the actual contacts, let alone reach
them).  Any recommendations?

Caleb