[geeks] Contracts in KS/MO, ME and VA

James james at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 17 19:08:54 CST 2003

At 05:30 PM 1/17/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Folks,
>The job in Maine looks pretty good, and its good money. Great money
>actually at $100 an hour, but it's not full time. Its officailly a 12
>month contract but it'd be like 40-50 days of work over a twelve month
>period so I'd need to do fill in work. But it'd be regularly schedule
>work days, so ... It's a trade off.
>
>Id love to work in ME. But I just don't know if the fill in work is
>availoable. I'm pretty sure I could make up the difference in Mass and
>NH. I'd prolly live in NH. Anyway because a. the tax situation and b. I
>really love NH.

If you want to live in nh, it probably would be Portsmouth area. That is
the only reasonable commute to Augusta, ME. You need to be near rt.95.
Portsmouth is showing lots of work right now compared to the rest of NH,
I'm considering commuting to there from New London, NH (1.2 hours or so).
You could join me and a bunch of my soon-to-be-former compatriots from
Vicinity and start a conslutancy. Lots of us are figuring that striking out
on our own is the best route since nobody is hiring. Companies have budget
for projects but not people (what do you do with people when the project is
over??). There is a distinct lack of good consultants and consulting
agencies once you get North of Manchester. There is also a talent vacuum.
Portsmouth lacks a lot of what I like about NH (mountains, clean cold
rivers and lakes, etc) but has the work and you can drive to everything
else, including the awesome ME coastline. If you do .gov work there is
Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard (a nuke sub shop).

Its a Northern New England tradition to string together smaller jobs to
make a living. I'm pretty sure you could make it here. I suspect I have to
get used to doing multiple jobs too.