[geeks] Solaris 9/x86 Performance

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Fri Jan 17 06:49:47 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:24:14PM -0500, R. Lonstein wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:47:30AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> 	[snip]
> > google://"solaris package format"
> 	[snip]
>
> No. You misunderstand. I know about pkgmk, pkgtrans, etc. and how to
> use them. I'm interested in what is actually going on in pkgmk
> (options passed to cpio, what some of the header bytes mean).

As far as I'm aware that's not documented.  truss should be able to tell
you what happening, but I'd be fairly sure it's not defined as a stable
interface.

My package-building stuff is at http://www.docbert.org/Solaris/Pkg/ but
doesn't really go into what you're after. (I really need to update/html-ize
that document one day...)

> Does anyone know of a free reference to the SVR4 package format?

Chapter 2 of http://sco.com/developers/devspecs/gabi41.pdf

  Scott.