[geeks] Octane questions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 16 12:21:39 CST 2003

Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> This one is a single R10k 225 mhz, 256b megs and 9 gig drive.
> SI graphics.  What should i expect form this machien speed
> wise?  Will it run Maya/Houdini worth a damn or do i
> need to upgrade part of it? I know that's the lowest end
> graphics option for an Octane. Is it a PITA or super expensive
> to upgrade to MXE?

I suspect it will run Houdini Apprentice with very little trouble.  Mine is
a single R12k-300Mhz and it absolutely flies.

I suggest giving it a chance in it's current form, I don't think you'll be
disapointed.  I only upgraded mine because I got the Tim Allen affliction
(more power!) and I found an R12k for super cheap.  The only thing you'll
want to do is give it at least another 256MB of RAM.

For "low end", the SI is surprisingly capable for geometry.  Don't knock it
quite yet.  To go to MXE you'll need to either purchase one outright or
start with an SSE mainboard and buy TRAMs for it.  SI cannot be made into
MXI or MXE.  MXI is an SSI board with two TRAMs, MXE is an SSE board with
two TRAMs.  If you have an SSI or SSE, you can't add TRAMs one at a time,
they must be added in pairs.  Also, the TRAMs for SE/SSE are *not* the same
as TRAMs for SI/SSI.  SE/SSE TRAMs are about 3-4 times more expensive.  You
*can* add a TRAM to an SI to get textureing though, and you might want to do
that (TRAMS are only about $200 these days) to see what it's like.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com