[geeks] New Apple Laptops

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Jan 14 04:00:38 CST 2003

Funny that's exactly why I got a 600e myself. It was quite literally the
first laptop I had since my very first actual x86 pc the kaypro 2000
that felt like a real piece of computing equipment and not an overgrown
etch-a-sketch.

I had the thing from a few weeks after they first came out til last
summer. Its still going strong with a friend.

Last year when my stepfathers company was selling off laptops they had a
whole bunch of HP and IBM systems, including some HP's that were faster
than the 600, but I had her beeline for the thinkpad. The machine we got
had barely ever been turned on. We grabbed it, stuck an extra 256 in it
(its got 32mb on the board itself) a new 2k install, and she was off to
the races.

A few months ago she trashed the screen. She accidentally dropped it
down the stairs. The only thing damaged was the screen and I picked up a
new part for $200 and replaced it. The only problem is that during the
process (or maybe when she cracked it) a crack developed in the flex
cable. Now theres an intermittent video gltch and I need to find a new
flex cable. Im trying to find someone who'll sell it to me without the
screen with no luck so far.

Now I know I could have got her a $400 machine off of E-Bay, but lets
face it the only thing likely to fail on the system is the screen, and
since I just replaced it with a new old stock one I think she's got at
least a year left in it once I fix the cable. I figger til the next MS
os swap she'll be fine. Then I'll take the thing and put a BSD on it.

All that being said, I showed my mom an iBook a few weeks ago, and she
absolutely went gaga. This is the first time Ive ever seen my motheer
look at a computer with anything other than fear, disgust, or loathing.
I think when I am once again in funds I'll be buying her a low spec
iBook. Maybe from one of the local resellers who has a good selection of
refurbished machines.

Oh and to keep it in the apple line theres an interesting Cringely
article up about the new products and software that Apple just announced