[geeks] Fight with computer brings SWAT team

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Jan 11 23:03:58 CST 2003

Ahh the dodge diplomat. Staple of the NYPD and many many many cop shows
for the better part of a decade. Aka the chrysler New Yorker. Every time
I see a Diplomat I start humming the theme to hill street blues in my
head.

If they had the old "A" straight six and the three speed auto and no A/C
they were indestuctible (the same setup as in the old darts and dusters
that never die, they just rust away). Of course every other engine,
transmission combination was living on borrowed time the moment it left
the factory. The AC systems used to jam up, take out the belt, which
took out the water pump etc.. Etc... And god the electrics on the higher
trim level models. And the heater cores. Man those were fun. Antifreese
coming from the airvents anyone ;-)

The cop and taxi spec cars were a lot better though. Firstly they got
MUCH better engines and transmisssions with more than adequate cooling
systems, and a completely uprated electrical system. Most of those
problems went away right then.

Anyone else miss the Caprice? I know every cab operator in America does.
Most cops too. Hell they stopped making it eight years ago (96 model
year was the last. Probably cranked the last one out in late '95) and
rather than replace them on the three year cycle that most LEA's iuse
they're maintaing them. Some of these cars have near a million miles on
them now but they keep fixing them.

Oh and calloing this new thing an impala is a sacrelige.

Chris Byrne