[geeks] Things that go BANG

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Jan 9 10:51:39 CST 2003

	Since we are currently in loud noise mode on the list time to bring
up a handful of things I wouldn't mind exploring.

	Firstly, anyone do black powder weapons? I have been real tempted to
buy one of the 6 shot models of the 1800's pistols that are out their,
something like the Navy pistol or some such, but have been worried that they
are disappointing to fire. Anyone got a black powder pistol that would care
to weigh in on the subject?
	Secondly I am thinking about getting a revolver, that and a shotgun,
are the only things missing from my collection. I was wondering what I
should look for in a revolver. I used to have a .38 revolver and liked
firing it, very satisfying, but want to look at other cartridges also.
	Anyone familiar with the 7.62X25 pistol round? All I have been able
to find in this caliber is steel core ammo which the range frowns on using.
Also I am interested in the ballistic characteristics of this round. From
what I have seen, and I have not found much, this round packs the punch of a
.357 round. I have a 1942 Russian tokarev that fires this round but I want
to get another Chinese tokarev knockoff as it was a great gun in that
caliber, I paid $150 for it and sold it for $500 but I still regret getting
rid of it.
	Of note on the Russian tokarev I have it shows the signs of being
hastily made, and I don't overly trust it for it, as the grips in the slide
were hand filed into the weapon. It defiantly saw use, I like to tell people
that it was made, handed to a guy on the line, and he ran outside to do
battle with the Germans who were storming the factory. Guess they won the
battle as the gun was Russian surplus, not German :-) .

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org