[geeks] Looking for a windows archive tool with a useful function

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed Jan 8 07:40:59 CST 2003

Ok, doing what I want in UNIX would be trivial but I have yet to see an
archive tool (unless it's a command line tool ported from UNIX that is)
that would do this in windows.

What I want is to specify a path or list of files and have every file in
that path or list be zipped at maximum compression using the filename it
already has and adding a .zip extension. I must not attempt to rezip
existing zip archvies, and it must be able to assign a new name rather
than overwrite existing files.

Oh and it's be nice if it was free.

Anyone know of such a beast? Failing that anyone have a script thatll do
it? I could write one, but why duplicate the effort if someone else has
it already done ;-)

Chris Byrne