[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 6 21:34:52 CST 2003

At 03:28 7/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello Bill,
>
>Tuesday, January 7, 2003, 3:03:50 (UTC), you wrote:
>
>BB> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:59:58PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>>> I recommended a new Mac to my mother about a year ago, thinking a G4
>>> tower would suit her nicely.  However, she went out and bought a new
>>> iMac.  She liked the look (she's an artist) and didn't need to buy a
>>> monitor (her only monitor is a Mac-only monitor used on her 8100).  So,
>>> not what I expected, but all good anyway :)
>
>BB> I wanted to "switch" my Mom to a Mac, but she wanted something "like what
>BB> I had before, and what I have at work" - so I set her up with a Duron
1100,
>BB> XP (with the "Classic" theme, not that fugly new-look), and moved all
her old
>BB> apps over.. Set her up with a Sun 21" monitor instead of the 15"
built-into
>BB> her old all-in-one Gateway Celeron 300.. She loves it.
>
>Nation of Mac Moms... My Mom is also on a Mac, albeit oldish S900 with
>1 GB RAM and some Sonnet G4 card, Nexus video, whimpy U160 drives,
>and yet she doesn't know it's a Mac, she calls it "my computer".
>She was confused trying to use XP, when we tried that once, and asked
>for "my computer" to be put back. At that time, I attempted to usurp
>it for my faxing/e-mailing needs, enjoyed it for 8 days only.
>She is 68, and says that for her English studies "my computer" is
>better than "that thing". Go figure. I personally find that in terms
>of internationalisation Windows became a better platform than old Mac
>OS Classic. She learned how to burn CDs on it and is very proud when
>she can teach somebody else how to do this.

One of the problems outside the USA is that Macs are often priced
comparitively higher. Here in New Zealand we pay about 25% more than the
USA web-price e.g. entry-level iBook is 1300USD in NZ vs 999USD in USA.

The other issue is the 1-year Apple warranty on Mac hardware. WTF is with
that?

Regards,

Gavin