[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Dan Williams dan.williams at btconnect.com
Mon Jan 6 19:10:58 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gavin Hubbard" <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 11:43 PM
Subject: [geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

> Oh dear. Surely I'm not the only one here who recommended a WinXP machine
for his/her mother :-o

> Regards,
>
> Gavin

I would recommend XP for any of my family who where running pentium
machines, I have been using it for about a year now and have found no
problems with it at all on an 800mhz laptop with 256mb ram. It never
crashes, suspends and resumes - win98 or 2000 never done this properly. I
very rarely reboot the machine as it doesn't need it, also unlike 2000 which
could slow down to a crawl. Having used windows since /286,  I think it's
slowly going in the right direction.
I don't think I could convince any of my family to buy a mac or anything
other than a wintel machine, also bearing in mind they would never use it
for anything other then basic office stuff and web browsing there wouldn't
be a lot of point, although  if I did persuade her to buy an imac she'd
probably (get my dad to) redecorate to suite the colour.

Dan