[geeks] Cheap Laptop or what to put on a Toshiba 7010

R. Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Wed Feb 26 13:20:35 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:21:09PM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I am in need of a laptop for doing the following
>
> Web Browsing

Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera.

> E-mail (stds compliant)

Mutt, elm, pine. GUI- xfmail, kmail.

> DOS emulation with serial port support

DOSemu w/FreeDOS or VMWare.

> Windows emulation (for one program; Clarify...[unless

Don't know. Try it under Wine.

> Our company shipped me a pile of crud (Toshiba Portege 7010CT)... I will
	[snip]

Hey! That's my primary laptop. I run OpenBSD, Linux and Win2k on
mine. Throw in a 128M sodimm (same as Tecra 8000) and a bigger drive
you've got a decent light weight with a 1024x768 screen. Add the DVD
docking station and you have a somewhat bulky but still middleweight
system with the expected ports. I guess my expectations are lower than
yours. If you object to dongles, get one of the type3 modem/ethernet
adapters from Intel/Xircom or 3com.

- Ross