[geeks] Lindows

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 13:35:34 CST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 7:02 pm, James wrote:
> OK, I get the feeling that something is wrong with Lindows required
> "click and go softwarehouse membership". It IS linux after all. Is
> there anything preventing someone from downloading all the apps and
> mirroring them for free? Is the package system unique and copyrighted
> or something? Has anyone actually run this distribution yet?

Don't know anything about Lindows (apart from distantly recalling a
skimmed report). But I'd guess that their packaging system is supposed
to be somewhat special and that there might be commercial stuff bundled
in with it.

> I need to know because the wife is threatening to buy their new
> laptop. I don't want to deal with a subscription to otherwise "free"
> software.

Can't see why it isn't possible to buy their laptop and stick some other
Linux on it. Might be a good choice of laptop without the possible pain
of getting a random laptop (just re-installing a SiS-based laptop now).

> BTW, the good news here is that my wife has had enough of Gates and
> Company. She even publishes html using Notepad at this time (she'll
> love VIM with its colored function notations).

vim might be a bit painful, and there are more "normal" editors which do
syntax colorisation. Xemacs for a start, and there's plenty of others.