[geeks] sunday project

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Sun Feb 23 14:31:04 CST 2003

I'd suggest freebsd,  maybe.

I've built a gentoo system (binary method) on a p2/266 and it's not
zippy, but it's fine if you have other things to do (like researching
compile tweaks, reading docco, playing with kids) during the long bits.

I'm currently using a p2/300 with 256MB ram and dual video (ATI rage pro
agp and allinwonder98 PCI) as the cd-burning, home stereo, dual head
"entertainment center" (I admit we play dvds on a dvd player and pipe it
in through svideo) and it handles movies full screen on the left (20
inch) head just fine. windowmaker, xinerama, xmms, xawtv, etc.

it also runs one printer as print server.

it is a bit slow ripping to mp3/ogg, but hey- it's a pii/300