[geeks] PC question

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Feb 22 01:55:57 CST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 13:01, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com>
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] PC question
> Date: 21 Feb 2003 01:59:30 -0500

> Once gain, i know peecee stuff is not the primary concern on
> this list, but i figured some of you guys would know anyway.
>
> It appears that the mobo on my dual 450 PIII is on it's way to
> mobo heaven (note to self: never buy another Gigabyte board)
> and it's time to build a new box.  I haven't stayed current
> with all this mess since '99, so if anyone has any good
> recommendations on mobos and chips i am all ears.
>
> I've always used Intel chips in the past but now i'm leaning
> toward a single or dual Athalon box, but i don't want to deal
> with a 100 fans in my box or anything odd.  I just want a
> decent, solid box to run linux and be able to compile and
> render fast. No bargain basement stuff, i don't mind spending
> money on it since it will probably be my main workstation at
> home for the next two or three years.
>
> Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Just get a Dell box.  They've got available 4 year warranty (which means
if anything fails, they come out and replace it), their mid-range and
high-end boxes easily outperform other machines with the same specs, and
they actually have reasonable industrial design for the cases.  I've got
some P-133 Dell machines that are still going strong, with very few
hitches (I think out of 8 of those machines, we had one motherboard die
within the first three years, and nothing since).  They're the most
hassle-free PCs you can get.  (plus, I own Dell stock  :-)
	Greg