[geeks] PC question

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Feb 21 19:00:55 CST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 04:31:05PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I *really*like my Dell boxes, rock-solid HW design (Dimension "full
> size" desktops & PowerEdge servers), dead-quiet, and quite affordable.
>
> You can get a lot of box from dell for $500 - 750, they have some very
> nice deals on the low-end poweredge servers (but they tend to be loud,
> due ot the fans), ranging from $275 to under $1K - I nearly got a 2 GHz
> Xenon PowerEdge 1600SC SCSI-based w/ 512 Meg RAM, & 2x 72 Gig 10K SCSI
> drives for about $850... But I don't need it (got my E250!)

I've used Dell "workstations" since the Xeon first came out, and I'm
just not thrilled. They seem a little nice at first, but then they start
being less and less stable in my experience, even after being wiped
clean and reinstalled.  And they don't seem to take MS OS upgrades well.

I remeber liking HPs better, but I've never tried IBMs either.

Currently, I spend a lot of my time on a pretty new Dell notebook
(arrived on my desk just before christmas), and there are many days I
want to through the thing out the window.

Bleh.  And I'm having no luck finding companies who want programmers for
unix workstations that might possibly hire me either, even counting
linux as a unix workstation.  How depressing.  I know I'm pathetic, but
it often feels like my life is being wasted by MS and x86 hardware, and
damn it, I resent it (but not enough to work in fast food or retail
sales at the mall).