[geeks] Netgear Switches -- FS108 vs FS608

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Feb 18 10:44:44 CST 2003

Morning folks...

Managment has approved us to buy a switch, and provided some
recommendations (i.e.: pick any of these two.) but I'm in a quandry at the
moment. I see that Netgar has the old, venerable FS108, and a newer
plasticky looking cased FS608. If I remember statistics right, the FS5xx
series is a true store-and-forward packet switch, while the FS1xx series
will drop packets so as to prevent collisions. My question is whether the
FS608 is a direct replacement for the FS108, or if the FS608 is actually
the same switch in a cheaper case.

Probably best answered by the sales weasels, but you know how the tech
sectors opinions are trusted (by anyone but management)....

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"