[geeks] Distributed folding patent

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Feb 17 23:57:40 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 18:19, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> From: Caleb Shay <caleb at webninja.com>
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Distributed folding patent
> Date: 17 Feb 2003 15:34:54 -0500
>
> The Distributed Folding folks are all happy that they got their patent
> on their folding algorithm today.  Disgusting.  I thought this was for
> the pure advancement of scientific knowledge.  Anyways, I left a rant on
> their message board and I'm pulling all my machines off it.

Come on, get with the program.  Patents aren't bad, and they don't
prevent anybody from doing anything in and of themselves.  Patents only
give the holder the -right- to prevent others from making, using,
offering for sale, selling or importing the subject of the patent
(that's practically a quote from www.uspto.gov).  Not patenting
something like that, in the current "corporate culture" is just foolish,
and asking for a lot of hassle (since somebody else will probably come
up with the same idea, and they'll try to patent it, and then you'll
have to contest their patent, which means lawyers.  bleach).

Sun routinely files for patents on lots of pieces of their technology.
Are you going to get rid of all of your Sun machines and software
because of it?  I doubt it.  Sun has even used their patents in court to
stop folks from "innovating" (see Sun vs Microsoft in the Java case).
Does this make Sun and Evil company?  Are you going to get rid of all of
your Sun hardware and software because not only did they file for and
gain a patent, but enforced it in court?

Patents aren't bad, provided that they're issued in a timely manner, and
on things that truly meet the established guidelines for being eligible
for a patent.  Before you go all ape-shit about this, do some research
on what they plan to do with the patent, and about what having a patent
-actually means-.  </rant>

Pleas, try not to take that too personally, patents and the lack of
understanding around them really frustrates me.
	Greg

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]