[geeks] Xserve RAID is out... kind of nice

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Sat Feb 15 08:29:43 CST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:53:20 +1100 Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:

> For the density, it's only about the same (or less) than what others
> are releasing.  Sun's new arrays do 1.72Tb in 2U, and thats without having
> to resort to 180Gb/7200PRM disks like Apple has. (Sun is 12 drives in 2U,
> Xserve is 14 drives in 3U)

As far as density is concerned, I found a product this week that is capable
of packing 10.5+TB in 4U of space. It's an ATA raid system with 42disks.
ATABeast @ nexsan.com. There aren't any prices on their website, but one of
the weekly IT magazines said that they cost $42,000. Which comes out to about
.4 cents per megabyte. The 10.5TB is measured using 250GB drives. They claim
to get 12.6TB using 300GB drives.

--andy.